Thursday, June 4, 2020

Mark 9:33-37 —Arguing on the Way

Mark 9:33-37 
Photo by Clark Tibbs on Unsplash
And they came to Capernaum. And when he was in the house he asked them, “What were you discussing on the way?” But they kept silent, for on the way they had argued with one another about who was the greatest. And he sat down and called the twelve. And he said to them, “If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all.” And he took a child and put him in the midst of them, and taking him in his arms, he said to them, 
“Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me, receives not me but him who sent me.”


I wonder how many times I have said something or argued about something that I would have been embarrassed to repeat before my own pastor or even more before my Lord Jesus?

Here, the disciples knew they shouldn't have been debating about who was the greatest and they hung their heads in shame and kept silent when Jesus asked. They were afraid to confess! Jesus then taught them that it is in humble service and care for the weakest and least that we are great because we serve Jesus and in our humility receive him and the Father. The glory of God is humble. The kingdom does not advance through self-promotion the way the world normally works. It comes through preferring one another.

Photo by Larm Rmah on Unsplash
If we want to be great we have to be nothing. If we want to be first, we must be last and serve others. Why? Because that is the example set for us by Jesus. Christ didn’t come to be served, but to compassionately serve and to give his life as a ransom for many.
 
I wonder about Jesus' tone of voice when he sat down and called the Twelve to put an end to their silly debate. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on these posts are welcome, however, they will be moderated. Your comment will appear after the blog administrator approves it. Thanks for your patience!

Mark 16:1-20 — What Am I supposed to Do? (A Resurrected Sermon)

T he following points are taken from my first sermon, given to a group of young adults in 1985 at B4 Church in Beaverton, Oregon. I recently...